Setups - Suspension position (Tatuus)

2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #2102 by DarkPxl
I'm still unsure what the new rear suspension position settings in garage do, but someone posted a link to this video in rF2 Discord and I told Shelby I would post it here.

First half of the video talk about suspension position.

I'm sure I could learn a few things with his other suspension video, but I did not watch it yet, posting it here just in case :)

In game name:
RF2: Christian.ca
The following user(s) said Thank You: TOCA2FREAK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 week ago #2104 by Shelby
Cheers. I think im gonna stick to my original plan of leaving the setting alone :p

In game name:
RF2: Shelby
AMS: Shelby

2 months 4 days ago #2143 by DarkPxl
Some of these Tatuus also have suspensions settings available in the Tuning menu.

Found something about Anti-Dive and Anti-Squat, but it doesn't mean I know how to set that up :pinch: :whistle:

Anti-Dive and Anti-Squat Suspension.

Anti-dive and anti-squat suspension systems have come in and out of designers and engineers attention over the Years. Both systems are used to help control or minimise longitudinal vehicle load transfer, in an aid to either retain suspension compliance, or improve aerodynamic stability.

ANTI-DIVE:
Used to prevent the front of the car making contact with the ground and bottoming out, under extreme braking conditions. Also if frontal weight load transfer is too extreme, this results in over-loaded front tyres, which can exceed traction levels and could result in brakes locking up. This could be combined with more understeer and increased tyre wear rates at the front of the vehicle.

The overall aerodynamic balance can also be effected, as the car´s aerodynamic devices will increase it´s angle-of-attack, as the vehicle experiences extreme forward weight transfer. This may not be a bad thing in some situations, depending on the aerodynamic set up, as this could further enhance braking efficiency. But too much angle of attack can have an effect on wing stall, which will greatly affect down force generation capabilities and and associated drag penalties. If the aerodynamic wings stall, the car will have reduced braking and cornering capacities.

ANTI-SQUAT:
Used to prevent the rear of the car from bottoming out under extreme acceleration forces. Also helping to keep the rear suspension setting in check, especially camber angles. If rearward weight transfer is too extreme, this can result in over-loaded rear tyres. Again, this can lead to exceeded traction levels, with increased tendency to wheel spin on acceleration and corner exits. This could result in more oversteer and increased tyre wear rates at the rear of the vehicle.

Aerodynamic balance can be effected, with overall aerodynamic devices decreasing their angle of attack in extreme situations. Also an important point to remember, when the rear end is subjected to squat, the front end could be subjected to lift. This follows the lever effect of the rear weight, raising the front end, if enough air is allowed to get under the front wing, bad things can happen- which could include lift, especially dangerous if this happens on the crest of a hill.

HOW DOES ANTI-DIVE AND ANTI-SQUAT WORKS?
By tilting the front and rear suspension mount points, by a couple of degrees towards the vehicles centre of gravity, anti-dive and anti-squat characteristics can be achieved. It is important to realise that the suspension set up is geometric in its design and does not rely on spring and damper adjustments to achieve this affect.

Care must be taken when deploying just anti-dive (front) or anti-squat (rear) on just one end of the vehicle. This is because the same set up to provide resistance to longitudinal weight transfer in one direction, can also have the reverse effect and act in aiding weight transfer in the opposite direction. Effectively improving one way weight transfer, but with negative effects in the other direction.

While anti-dive and anti-squat suspension systems were originally designed to just keep the suspension in check. In modern times with the further performance potential of effective aerodynamics, this design has been deployed solely for this purpose in the pursuit for balance.

Ideally maximum aerodynamic efficiency is achieved through a stable chassis. With out any help from other systems like dynamic down force or active suspension systems, anti-dive and anti-squat may help to achieve this.

This come from a nice web site with LOTS of info for car setups. link: www.rapid-racer.com/

In game name:
The following user(s) said Thank You: TOCA2FREAK, Chicken

2 months 3 days ago #2147 by Shelby
OK Dark i'll let you figure it out and then you can just tell me which setting makes the car go fastest :P

In game name:

2 months 3 days ago #2149 by DarkPxl

Shelby wrote: OK Dark i'll let you figure it out and then you can just tell me which setting makes the car go fastest :P

The third one....:whistle: :evil: :silly:

In game name:

2 months 3 days ago #2154 by Shelby

DarkPxl wrote:

Shelby wrote: OK Dark i'll let you figure it out and then you can just tell me which setting makes the car go fastest :P

The third one....:whistle: :evil: :silly:

Im suspicious

In game name:

Time to create page: 0.335 seconds

© 2018 Phoenix Racing Club. All Rights Reserved.